Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's A Team Game


Affiliate marketing has many descriptions, yet all have the same meaning. Affiliate marketing is a huge business piece on the Internet. It is a co-operative effort between merchants


and an affiliates' website. For many years now, affiliate marketing has proved to be a cost-efficient, measurable method of delivering long-term results. It has become famous for Internet sites who are trying to make some extra or additional income for their site. Every day, people get interested in affiliate marketing and want to make money out of it, but in many cases these new affiliates do not fully understand the affiliate world and make costly mistakes. In other words, affiliate marketing has often been misunderstood.

One of the common misconceptions that are being associated about affiliate marketing is “selling”, although though selling is an important activity of affiliate marketing and the central function of a business operation. Another misconception is that affiliate marketing is commonly linked with “advertising”. While the importance of advertising in marketing a certain product can never be underestimated, the fact of the matter is that advertising, like selling, is merely a part of the many functions of marketing.

In affiliate marketing an affiliate is compensated for every visitor, subscriber and/or customer provided through his efforts. The said compensation may be made based on a certain value for each visit. The most attractive aspect of affiliate marketing from the merchants' viewpoint is that no payment is due to an affiliate until results are appreciated.

Affiliate marketing is typically being run by affiliate networks and these affiliate networks are composed of two functional bodies; the group affiliates and the group merchants. Each has their special function and role when it comes to affiliate marketing. The affiliate network acts as a third party between the merchant and the associated affiliates. The network provides the technology to deliver the merchant’s campaigns and offers. The affiliate network also collects commission fees from the merchant and then pays the affiliates which are part of the program.

The merchant is any web site owner that wants or desires to take advantage of performance based marketing. The benefits to the merchant are many. First, the merchant maintains and operates the affiliate program. If it would be extracted, the merchant needs to do their part by researching interested affiliate websites to ensure that they are a good fit for that particular website. Finding a 'fit' for their merchandise would be the key to more generated income. The merchant has access to markets and customers without him spending valuable time searching out. Banner ads on affiliate sites are not distracting to the site user. It might produce interest for that product and drive the consumer to the merchants’ website. It is also the merchant who decides how much he is willing to pay for each sale that results from a visitor sent from an affiliate.

The affiliate or the affiliate marketer also sees a lot




of benefits. The affiliate is a web site owner that promotes one or more merchants and their affiliate programs. Affiliate marketing can generate a full-time income for the affiliate. But this is not an easy task to accomplish. The affiliate needs to have a better understanding with the merchant what the commission will be, expected payment method and time involved in the contract. The affiliate has also the responsibility to stand for the merchandise their user base would be most interested in. For example, if the site has a user base of mainly stay-at-home mothers, then on-line job openings such as surveys would be a good match for them. This group may also appreciate direct links to children’s products and informational sites. I hope that I don't sound sexist, I certainly don't mean to. Statistics don't lie and I worked as a State Registered Nurse.....for 23 years.


I'm not going to even begin to pretend that I use or even own every single product that I advertise, nor am I going to promise you that you will get rich yesterday. What I can guarantee is that the products I do use haven't let me down. My research and preparation on each product campaign is meticulous, which is why I would be lucky if I use or advertise 1% of advertisements that fly at me. 


Additionally, I'm not going to tell you what products that I do and don't use. It's a free world and we're all big boys and girls. I CAN tell you that any products that I'm within a bulls-roar of have been of benefit to me and thus my family. I'm not here to mess around and I'm not here to mess you around. To me, that hard-sell, overnight-wealth stuff is patronising, rude and irksome. I don't see myself as having any of these traits and hopefully you see me as such.


If you happen to follow-up any of the leads on this page I do hope that you view them for what they are. I have brought but a few here for you as I truly believe in them; and I do so because they have benefited me. It has taken time and it has taken outlay. Don't let anyone even think about trying to convince you otherwise. If they do, ask yourself why they're all using the same 'cheap-and-nasty' looking pages that YELL at you with (false) claims of how much value you're getting for nothing, only to scroll to the bottom of the page to see that there is, infact, a cost despite being told it's all free. 


I recall a great line from the late Ian Dury from a spoken word piece that he penned called All The Room In The World. The line goes; "....I'm still not too old to mind being patronised." There's not a day goes by where I find myself mentally speaking that line. Whilst on a musical bent, The Beatles may well have sang "....The best things in life are free...." but they didn't write it.

Affiliate marketing is a great tool for both the marketer and the affiliate. Working together, they can be advantageous to each other. It makes sense, is an easy and inexpensive (if not free!) way to start and takes little time to achieve real results; usually only a few days.

From what I have researched, gaining traffic is of key importance. and I shall be sharing my findings in that area in my next entry.

Happy 'affiliating.' ;-))




No comments:

Post a Comment